• It’s the 25th anniversary of Squirrel Girl! Twenty-five years ago THIS MONTH, she made her first appearance in MARVEL SUPER-HEROES vol. 2 #8, way back in January 1992!
• Then nothing really happened with her for like a decade, until 2005, when she appeared in – wait, what am I, Wikipedia? Wikipedia has all this stuff, and people don’t read comic solicits for a HISTORY LESSON: they read them for some SWEET SPOILERS on what will be in their comics several months from now! So let’s spoil some comics, huh??
• SPOILERS BEGIN. In celebration of 25 years of Squirrel Girl (SEVERAL of which actually featured the publication of comics starring her), we’ve brought back Squirrel Girl’s co-creator, Will Murray, to write only his SECOND Squirrel Girl story ever!
• It’s Squirrel Girl’s 15th birthday, and she’s gotten the greatest present of all: a run-in with THE INCREDIBLE HULK??
• Also, your regular Squirrel Girl team is here to also tell a story, so that’s cool too (Erica’s drawing both)!
• Two stories, two writers, one artist, and one quarter of a century with a character! It’s a special one-shot you won’t want to miss!!
• SPOILERS OVER. Now try to act surprised when you read it, okay??
It’s all hands on deck with the AVENGERS, CHAMPIONS, GUARDIANS, X-MEN and the INHUMANS as they clash with monstrous threats that threaten to destroy every corner of the Marvel Universe. Who are the LEVIATHONS? Who controls them? How can they be stopped before Earth becomes another tragic, barren world in their wake? Written by powerhouse writer CULLEN BUNN and drawn by Marvel legend STEVE McNIVEN, this issue is the beginning of something big that you just can’t miss!
BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W) • ALEX MALEEV (A/C)
Variant Cover by STEVE EPTING
• Some people from Tony Stark’s past have a VERY big problem with Victor Von Doom taking the mantle of Iron Man.
• One of those people is Pepper Potts, a.k.a. Rescue!
• She is back and she is pissed! Where has she been?
NICK SPENCER (W) • Rod Reis (A) COVER BY JEFF DEKAL VARIANT COVER BY TBA The epilogue to the blockbuster event CIVIL WAR II! • In the aftermath of war, Tony Stark and Carol Danvers both turn to the one person they can trust...Steve Rogers, Captain America.
ESPN The Magazine presents Marvel Comics’ pantheon of heroes in a way they have never been seen before – in a special insert inside the magazine’s annual Body Issue on newsstands Friday, July 10th. The custom edition, entitled The Body Issue: Super Heroes Edition will feature Iron Man, She-Hulk, Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, Daredevil, Medusa, Hulk, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage.
ESPN.com will also offer fans an exclusive digital sketch book featuring a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of these powerful images. The exclusive digital sketch book will show how ESPN & Marvel Comics, along with some of the premier artistic talents in the world, worked collaboratively honoring and illustrating the male and female form through detailed anatomical drawings. This exclusive online gallery provides readers a behind-the-scenes look of how these unique concepts, designs, and masterful illustrations came together to produce this one of a kind Body Issue insert.
Every day, all over the world, Marvel’s top comic book artists flex their creative muscles to illustrate the world’s mightiest Super Heroes. In the spirit of ESPN The Magazine’s visual celebration of athleticism, dedication and strength, a mix of those same artists took to their drawing boards to craft bold images of Marvel’s characters like never before. From the ferocious and powerful Hulk to the brawny but diminutive Ant-Man, the results represent a partnership—not only between sister companies ESPN and Marvel but between physical power and sculpted beauty.
“For a comic book artist drawing the human anatomy is an everyday job,” says Marvel Comics artist Sara Pichelli. “But here it was matter of celebrating the maximum expression of human muscles and shapes. Creating believable, powerful, and at the same time harmonic bodies is always a challenge, that's why I wanted to be part of this.”
“While The Body Issue itself celebrates the unique characteristics of each athlete’s physique, we thought it made perfect sense to extend this theme to these Marvel characters,” says ESPN The Magazine Deputy Editor Otto Strong.
"When comic book artists imagine the physical ideal, they have to start somewhere," says Editor In Chief Axel Alonso. "And let's face it, professional athletes, whose bodies are fine-tuned instruments, are the closest thing to real-life Super Heroes. Marvel's Body Issue insert is a celebration of the most iconic Super Heroes in the world and the athletes that inspired them."
CHARLES SOULE (W) • CARLOS PACHECO (A)
Cover by RYAN STEGMAN
DEFENDERS VARIANT COVER BY Elizabeth Torque
CIVIL WAR II TIE-IN!
• Iron Man has taken the fight back to New Attilan!
• When the War is over, will the Royal Family ever be the same again?
PAUL ALLOR & CHUCK WENDIG (W)
& JUANAN RAMIREZ (A)
Cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL
• Sam Alexander’s finding it hard to cope with the fact that his dad is M.I.A. in the far reaches of space. Luckily, this Father’s Day, Nova’s got the chance to help former New Warrior Midnight’s Fire put his family back together. But when Iron Man shows up to inform his young teammate he’s backing the wrong horse, will Nova cool his jets?
• Celebrating the Fourth of July is complicated enough for a patriotic symbol turned soviet assassin, but then Hydra agents had to go and rob the Winter Soldier’s
secret storage locker. Who sent them? What do they want? Bucky doesn’t care — he just wants his #$%& back.
GERRY DUGGAN (W) • PEPE LARRAZ (A)
Cover by RYAN STEGMAN
MARVEL TSUM TSUM TAKEOVER VARIANT BY JEFF DEKAL
• All-out action to save an Avenger ...FROM ULTRON!
• One member of the Unity Squad catches a heck of a bad break.
• Plus — what is “The Icarus Protocol”?