SECRET DEFENDERS #9-10



"REVENGE" November and December 1993

Writer: Ron Marz

Pencils: Tom Grindberg

Inks: Don Hudson

Story:
Nebula is in the process of recruiting an entire army of galactic cut-throats on the distant Martian moon of Phobos. The Silver Surfer knows of this, but he can't go after her alone. That's what Nebula is expecting, so he needs allies if he hopes to catch her ill-prepared. The Surfer heads for Dr. Strange's sanctum to seek the help of Earth heroes, but not just anybody. He needs heroes who were not present during the Infinity Gauntlet saga, because Nebula would then be too familiar with them. So Dr. Strange calls upon newcomers War Machine and Thunderstrike to help the Surfer in his endeavour! Norrin's not too sure about the good doctor's choice at first, but his two new allies will most definitely not disappoint him.


What's cool:
Wow, what a story! Cool characters, awesome villains, an entire army of monstrous alien monsters for WM and Thunderstrike to battle side by side, a gigantic bomb that threatens to blow up Titan to space dust… great stuff! Since there are not too many heroes in this story, the writer has more time to give each one an important part to play. You'll be happy to know that War Machine is definitely the one with the most important role here! I won't tell you what he does exactly, that would be ruining the surprise, I'll just say that it's very cool and that it's Rhodey at his best!


I thought the art was great, but many people would probably disagree with me on that one. It's not the style we're used to for WM or the Silver Surfer. Grindberg's art is reminiscent of one of my all-time favourite comic-book artists: Mike Mignola (of Hellboy fame). It's not a blatant and clumsy attempt at plagiarism either, it's just a very strong Mignola influence in his work. I don't know who this Grindberg guy is, what he did before or since, but I like his work in this book. Some people would probably hate it and argue that the proportions all look off or something like that… it's a matter of taste.


I should probably mention that, unbeknownst to you, my faithful readers, I happen to be a pretty big Silver Surfer fan. At the time this was published, I was buying the title regularly, so I was very familiar with Nebula, what she can do and her important role in Surfer continuity. I don't know if someone who is unfamiliar with her would appreciate the story quite as much as I did. I am also a big fan of Ron Marz, a writer whose great talent would have been deserving of bigger and more well-known Marvel series.


What's baaad:
As much as I like the art, I must admit that Thunderstrike looks a little bit weird. Also, at the end of the story, the writer runs out of space and skips a scene that I would have LOVED to see: WM riding with the Surfer on his board. I would've really liked to see that, that would have been true eye candy. Sadly, it was cut and it's a real shame.


Quote:
When Thunderstrike asks: "So you can deal with it? The Iron Man thing and all?" War Machine replies: "I don't care what people think when they see me. I know I'm not just an imitation. If you're in this to do some good, doesn't matter who you look like. Long as you get the job done. Remember that, Thunderstrike, and everything falls into place."

Comments